In Our Programs
Food and Nutrition
Thematic Area 1: Food and Nutrition Security .
Increased access to appropriate knowledge and technology relevant for sustainable food production and equitable utilization especially for children and women.
This objective will have a special focus on increasing household food security and the nutrition needs of children and women. The following strategies shall be adopted:
Strengthen farmer’s capacities in crop and livestock production.
This strategy aims at supporting farmers to increase crop and livestock production for improved household food and nutrition security as well as incomes. The following interventions will be implemented under this strategy:
- Establish on-farm crop and livestock demonstrations for knowledge and technology transfer in crop and livestock husbandry.
- Conduct farmer field days at parish level for knowledge exchange and technology promotion.
- Provide technical support to farmers to provide hands-on services.
- Organize and participate in agricultural events at district levels and national level.
- Support communities (farmer groups/associations/cooperatives) to establish seed banks to ensure access to quality seeds for farmers.
- Create and strengthen linkages with agriculture research institutions, reputable agro-input companies to increase farmers’ access to quality seed, breeds, agro-inputs and technologies.
- Establish and strengthen community food security structures for effective coordination of food security efforts.
- Provide improved crop and livestock technologies to farmers to increase food production.
Strategy1.2: Improve food storage at household level.
This strategy aims at supporting farmers to improve food storage at household level. This will ensure that food produced is safely stored to retain its nutrition value and market competitiveness. The following interventions shall be implemented.
- Demonstrate the use of appropriate food storage technologies to reduce post harvest losses
- Create linkages to food storage input service providers to increase access to storage facilities.
- Train farmers in processing agricultural products at household level to enhance quality control and value addition of products.
- Develop IEC materials on food storage and processed products to increase access to information on food storage and processed products.
Strategies 1.3 Strengthen the adoption of recommended feeding practices for children under five (5), Women of Reproductive Age, and PLHIV.
This strategy aims at supporting mothers, children under five years and People living with HIV to improve their nutrition and health status. The following interventions shall be implemented:
- Conduct practical cookery and utilization demonstrations using locally available foods for nutritious meals to improve on the quality of meals of vulnerable people.
- Conduct awareness on recommended feeding practices to promote adoption of good feeding practices.
Train mothers and care givers on principles of nutrition to increase knowledge on nutrition and health in the community .
- Establish community nutrition education centres which will act as sources of knowledge, information and technologies for better nutrition and health practices.
- Establish and strengthen community nutrition structures to enhance coordination of nutrition service delivery.
- Create linkages with nutrition and health service providers to increase access to such services in the community.