In Our Programs
Agricultural Trade Development
Objective 2: Farmer’s effectively participate in the local, national and regional market
This objective seeks to achieve increased and competitive farmer participation in market for improved household incomes. This objective will mainly focus on addressing poverty among women and youth. The following strategies will be adopted:
Stratgey 2.1: Build and Strengthen the performance of farmers’ organisations
This strategy aims at organizing, equipping and building the capacity of farmer groups, associations and cooperatives to produce and market their products. Under this strategy, the following interventions shall be implemented:
- Train famer groups and associations in organisational development (trainings in group dynamics, cooperative principles and VSLA, records keeping) for effective management
- Facilitate groups and associations acquire legal status to enable them access financial services, enter into contractual farming and business agreements.
- Support communities to establish and refurbish community stores or bulking centres for collective marketing.
Build the capacity of programs/project staff in agri-business entrepreneurship and cooperative principles for efficient and effective service delivery.
- Link farmers to district local government structures and Uganda Cooperative Alliance to access services for building farmers’ associations and cooperatives.
- Facilitate farmers’ organisations to establish management systems for efficient and effective operations of associations and cooperatives.
- Facilitate the development of strategic business plans for farmers’ institutions to enhance agribusiness operations.
- Facilitate performance review meetings for farmer institutions’ reflection and planning.
Strategy 2.2: Increase profitability and viability of agricultural value chains
This strategy will focus on value chain development for those enterprises that will be identified by the farmer’s groups. Under this strategy, VEDCO will support farmers to effectively engage in viable value chains (VC) and address constraints along the value chain that affect profitability and viability of the enterprises. The following interventions shall be implemented:
- Training farmers on entrepreneurship skills for effective participation in value chains.
- Build capacity of program staff in value chain Development to enable staff effectively facilitate value chain development processes.Facilitate farmer groups in value chain mapping, analysis and selection of profitable value chains.
- Facilitate farmer groups’ to develop production and marketing plans to enable them project production costs, marketing and incomes.
- Facilitate the adoption of post harvest handling and value addition technologies to reduce post harvest loses and enhance farmer produce quality.
- Organise exposure visits for farmer groups and associations to developed specific value chains to promote learning and knowledge transfer.
- Monitoring value chain performance to identify challenges and constraints that will be addressed during the value chain actor meetings.
- Organise strategic value chain actors meetings to promote development of value chains.
Strategy 2.3 Strengthen farmers’ participation in domestic and regional markets
This strategy will focus not only on linking farmers to local market opportunities but also to the increasing regional market opportunities. The following strategies will be implemented:
- Build the capacity of farmers in marketing and negotiation skills to enable them participate in national, regional and international markets.
- Support farmers to participate in national and regional agricultural trade fairs/shows to enable them market their products.
- Subscribe to market information service providers to increase access to market information by farmers.
- Facilitate the use of ICT in agriculture marketing to increase access to market information by farmers.
- Develop a database for market oriented farmers to facilitate performance monitoring of farmer groups and associations.
Strategy 2.4: Improve farmers’ access to agricultural financing
This strategy focuses on developing capacities of farmers to access and manage finance to boost their agricbusiness operations. The following interventions will be implemented:
- Facilitate the development of farmer saving and credit schemes to build their own financial base.
- Identify and link farmers to viable agricultural financial services to enable them access agro-credit.
- Advocate for farmer friendly agricultural financial products and services
- Train farmers groups, associations and cooperatives in financial management to minimize financial mismanagement and promote enterprise profitability.