Volunteer Efforts for Development Concerns (VEDCO) Is an Independent, Non-governmental and not for profit agricultural organization founded in 1986 by a group of university students in response to challenges of poverty, which was a result of the social and economic disruptions caused by military conflicts of 1980-86. VEDCO started as a self-help organization working with other relief organizations operating in Luwero, where there was insecurity as a cause of poverty at the time.
There were relief operations then, coupled with the trauma of the war, the people in the area had developed a relief mentality. VEDCO’s goal was therefore developed to improve the living conditions of the population and decided to do this by promoting food security, economic activity for increased household income and strengthen grassroots organizations to advance the interests of the marginalized communities in Uganda
VEDCO is legally registered, as a non-governmental agricultural organization under the Non-Governmental Organizations Registration Statute 1989. It is also registered with the Ministry of agriculture, Animal industry and fishery, NGO board in the ministry of internal affairs as well as with the National NGO Forum.
“Improved Quality Of Life of Small and Medium Holder Farmers”
To Equitably Empower Small and Medium Holder Farmers for Food Security and Nutrition Security, Agricultural Trade and Organisational Development.
Equitable and sustainable access to wealth creation among farmers in Uganda.
The purpose of the program is to equitably and sustainably improve household well being of both female and male farmers.
Short and long term objectives;
VEDCO will pursue over the next ten years’ period the following objectives;
Short Term Objectives
- To increase access to appropriate knowledge and technology relevant for sustainable food production, trade and utilization by female and male farmers at household level.
- To increase access to local, national, regional and international markets for priority products for female and male farmers.
- To increase female and male farmers involvement in influencing policy and practice on issues regarding agricultural production and marketing at all levels.
- Increase equitable and sustainable access to household energy services for improved farmers livelihoods.
- To strengthen farmer associations for improved livelihoods
- To enhance VEDCO’s organisational capacity for effective realization of its mission and Vision.
Long Term Objectives
- Support efforts of farming communities in Uganda and Africa region to actively participate and engage in profitable and sustainable agricultural ventures.
- Support policy makers and other key stake holders in the country and in the region to enact and implement policies that promote agricultural development and production.
- Build partnerships with government, industrial research institutions, academia and development partners that will strengthen VEDCO’s financial and technical resource for the benefit of agricultural development in Uganda and the region.
- Contribute towards building of a strong farmers’ movement in Uganda and the region that is aware of their rights to and control of production resources and benefits.
- Build strong partnerships that will strengthen VEDCO’s capacity to main stream cross cutting development issues of gender equity, HIV/AIDS and climate change in all aspects of VEDCO’s work.